Chief Operations Officer -- Metropolitan Library System -- Oklahoma City, OK
Interested candidates will need to apply online at https://www.metrolibrary.org/about-us/jobs in order to be considered for the position.
We are growing! Are you? Do you want to become an integral part of our future growth?
Are you an experienced and motivated library leader who can lead and drive the strategic operations and services of a growing library system? Do you have experience in strategic planning, operations analysis, facilities design and operation, and decision support processes? Do you want to work in a professional environment guided by the following Core Values:
- People First – We prioritize people in our decision making.
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion – We break down barriers, celebrate differences and create a culture of belonging.
- Integrity – We are honest and accountable for our work.
- Innovation – We listen to the needs of our communities and imagine and discover new possibilities.
- Respect – We treat others the way that we want to be treated.
If so, we have a fantastic opportunity for you to join our Executive team as the Chief Operations Officer (COO) for the Metropolitan Library System (MLS) in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The COO leads the Operations division, which encompasses the Collection Services and Development, Facilities and Operations, Special Collections, and Strategic Planning and Data Analytics units.
MLS is a growing library system that provides educational and recreational information and community engagement for over 800,000 residents in Oklahoma County. In the fall of 2023, we are building our 20th location, with the potential to add 2-3 new locations in the next few years. With over 5.4 million in-person Guest experiences provided last year, MLS makes an impactful and positive difference in our local communities. We are looking for someone that can harness strong community and resource support to position MLS for long-term strategic and sustained growth.
As the COO, you will play a crucial role in leading and operating the strategic services of MLS by:
- Training, developing, and leading Operations division staff in support of the library’s mission.
- Creating and deploying innovative strategies that enhance Guest experiences using internal and external collections.
- Designing comfortable, safe, and welcoming environments within MLS facilities using strategic and technological advantages to support the library’s growing, diverse communities.
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with community partners and stakeholders.
- Gaining understanding of community needs through strategic planning and operational performance analysis.
- Working with other library leaders to shape policies and procedures that prioritize Guest experiences for the growing, diverse communities that MLS serves.
This is an exciting opportunity for a visionary with initiative to make a significant impact on a vital community public service institution. Are you who we are looking for? Please complete an application and provide a detailed resume that highlights why you are the best person for the COO position at MLS. The library offers a comprehensive, competitive salary and benefits package and equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants.
Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Operations Officer (COO) has strategic and operational responsibility for the library’s Collections, Facilities, Special Collections, and Strategic Planning units. Directs, administers, plans, and coordinates activities related to the library’s Collections, Facilities, Special Collections, and Strategic Planning units in accordance with policies, strategic plan(s), and annual plan(s) established by the library’s Executive and Advisory Councils and the Metropolitan Library Commission. Responsibilities include the development of tactical and strategic plans, operational strategies and metrics tied to those strategies, and the ongoing development and monitoring of operational service and performance systems. Leads division, cross-departmental, and system-wide teams in the alignment of objectives with system-wide strategic goals. Plans, develops, manages, and assesses strategic projects. Responsible for organizational data collection, analysis, and reporting. Facilitates the implementation of strategic goals and services to enhance and improve library experiences for internal and external guests. This position is a member of both the Executive and the Advisory Council.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Library Studies/Information Science from an ALA-accredited college or university; and
- Seven years of professional experience in the strategic operations of a public library including the areas of Collections Management, Facilities and Operations, Special Collections, or Strategic Planning
- Two years of personnel management experience
HIGHLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Additional master’s degree from an accredited college or university in project management, architecture, public administration, planning, business administration or related field.
- Experience producing strategic plans.
- Future-oriented and capable of articulating vision of possibilities and likelihood of their success. Has broad knowledge and perspective.
- Effectively copes with change, comfortably shifts gears, and manages risk and uncertainty. Decisive and action oriented without having the total picture.
- Knowledgeable about how an organization, especially libraries, works and knows how to get results using both formal and informal channels. Recognizes and understands the culture of an organization. Understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures of the organization.
- Ability to relate well and build appropriate rapport and relationships with a variety of people in all levels of the organization, as well as people outside the organization. Uses diplomacy and tact and can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Addresses and resolves conflict equitably, seeking common ground and cooperation when possible. Skilled at reading situations quickly and focusing attention to gain understanding of conflict situations.
- Experience working in a library or other educational/knowledge-based or service organization.
Hiring salary range: $98,009.60 to $127,400.00 annual
Benefits: Information regarding benefits available for this position can be found here: https://www.metrolibrary.org/about-us/jobs/working-at-MLS