Chief Guest Officer -- Metropolitan Library System -- Oklahoma City, OK
Interested candidates will need to apply online at https://www.metrolibrary.org/about-us/jobs in order to be considered for the position.
We are growing! Are you? Do you want to become an integral part of our future growth?
Are you an experienced and motivated public service leader with a vision and passion for providing exceptional guest services? Do you want to lead and experience successful growth in Guest Service with strategic opportunities and capabilities? Do you want to work in a professional environment guided by the following Core Values:
- People First – We prioritize people in our decision making.
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion – We break down barriers, celebrate differences and create a culture of belonging.
- Integrity – We are honest and accountable for our work.
- Innovation – We listen to the needs of our communities and imagine and discover new possibilities.
- Respect – We treat others the way that we want to be treated.
If so, we have a fantastic opportunity for you to join our Executive team as the Chief Guest Officer (CGO) for the Metropolitan Library System (MLS) in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
MLS is a growing library system that provides educational and recreational information and community engagement for over 800,000 residents in Oklahoma County. In the fall of 2023, we are building our 20th location, with the potential to add 2-3 new locations in the next few years. With over 5.4 million in-person Guest experiences provided last year, MLS makes an impactful and positive difference in our local communities. We are looking for someone that can harness strong community and resource support to strategically position MLS for long-term growth.
As the CGO, you will play a crucial role in designing and implementing world class, quality experiences for MLS guests by:
- Training, developing, and leading Guest Services staff.
- Creating and deploying innovative strategies that enhance Guest experience values.
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with community partners and stakeholders.
- Working with other library leaders to shape policies and procedures that prioritize Guest experiences for the growing, diverse communities that MLS serves.
This is an exciting opportunity for a visionary with initiative to make a significant impact on a vital community public service institution. Are you who we are looking for? Please complete an application and provide a detailed resume that highlights why you are the best person for the CGO position at MLS. The library offers a comprehensive, competitive salary and benefits package and equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants.
Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Guest Officer (CGO) has strategic and operational responsibility for the library’s Guest Services division. They direct, administer, plan, and coordinate activities related to the library’s Guest Services division in accordance with policies, strategic plan(s), and annual plan(s) established by the library’s Executive and Advisory Councils and the Metropolitan Library Commission. Responsibilities include providing leadership, strategic direction, and resource stewardship for the subordinate directors/manages who oversee the libraries and departments within the division and for succession planning and mentoring support for all division staff and managers. As the organization’s senior-most Guest Services leader, the CGO is accountable for the overall service performance (analog and virtual guest interactions) of all libraries, for the achievement of divisional goals and objectives, and for aligning system-wide strategic objectives with effective and guest-centric access and engagement plans, operational strategies and metrics tied to those strategies, and the ongoing development and monitoring of operational service and performance systems. This position is a member of the Executive and Advisory Councils.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education and Experience:
- Master's degree in Library Studies/Information Science from an ALA-accredited college or university; and
- Seven years of experience managing service provision, staff, programs, and large-scale projects; and
- Five years of public library experience.
HIGHLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
Future-oriented, can articulate vision of possibilities and likelihood of their success. Has broad knowledge and perspective.
- Effectively copes with change, comfortably shifts gears, and manages risk and uncertainty. Decisive and action oriented without having the total picture.
- Skilled at judging which ideas and suggestions will work and moving them forward. Can manage the creative processes of others.
- Knowledgeable about how an organization, especially libraries, works and knows how to get results using both formal and informal channels. Recognizes and understands the culture of an organization. Understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures of the organization.
- Ability to relate well and build appropriate rapport and relationships with a variety of people in all levels of the organization, as well as people outside the organization. Uses diplomacy and tact and can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Addresses and resolves conflict equitably, seeking common ground and cooperation when possible. Skilled at reading situations quickly and focusing attention to gain understanding of conflict situations.
Hiring salary range: 98,009.60 to 127,400.00 annual
Benefits: Information regarding benefits available for this position can be found here: https://www.metrolibrary.org/about-us/jobs/working-at-MLS