Library Services Associate -- University of North Texas -- Denton, TX
UNT System Overview
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. We are growing with the DFW region, enrolling a record47,000+ students across our system and awarding nearly 12,000 degrees each year.
Posting Title: Library Services Associate
Department: UNT-University Library-Gen-141000
Job Location: Denton
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Salary Information: Salary is dependent on experience with a minimum of $30,504.00.
A wide range of student- and faculty-centered services are the cornerstone of the Libraries’ integral role in the University of North Texas community. As the most-used service on campus and an essential component of education and research at the University of North Texas, the Libraries offer access to more than 6 million items (print and digital) along with expert personnel to assist patrons in achieving their academic and scholarly goals. We provide innovative programs and support to enhance the relationship between teaching and learning at the University of North Texas.
The Access Services Department promotes and provides access to the collections of the UNT Libraries. As part of the Public Services Division, we strive to meet the information and research needs of library patrons through the services we offer.
The University of North Texas is a student-centered public research university with nearly 40,000 students. A Carnegie-ranked Tier One public research university, UNT is one of the nation's most diverse universities. UNT has been designated as both a Minority Serving Institution and Hispanic Serving Institution and stands committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in its pursuit of academic excellence. We are big and bold| All About UNT
With 7.5 million people and two international airports, DFW is the fourth-largest metro area in the United States. DFW is racially, ethnically, religiously, and culturally rich and maintains a long-standing commitment to the arts exemplified by local attractions such as the Dallas Arts District and the Fort Worth Cultural District. UNT's proximity to these major metropolitan centers ensures that our new colleague will be able to access a wide range of activities and cultural experiences. The university also has a generous
benefits,leave and perks package.
UNT is located in Denton, Texas, a growing city with a small-town feel and a thriving arts and music scene centered on its downtown Square and is connected by highways and light rail to the major transportation hubs and big-city attractions of Dallas and Fort Worth, about 40 miles away. Want to know more about why you should consider coming to Denton? Check out Discover Denton.
The Reserves and Evening Manager position effectively manages the Willis Library reserves collection and the fulfilment of reserve requests made by university faculty and subject librarians. This position is responsible for processing course reading materials,both print and electronic, and making them available to UNT students. Contributes to evaluating workflows, updates manuals and procedures, upholds copyright policies,ensures accessibility, and maintains catalog records related to reserves collection. As a member of the Service Desk Unit, this position works collaboratively with other members of the unit to connect library patrons with the information, services, and collections they need. This position directly supervises one student employee. This position also supervises Access Services staff and student assistants during the evening hours of operation. Handles problem situations, manages emergencies, and trains new full-time staff and student assistants.
Bachelor’s Degree and one year of progressively responsible library experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of library principles and policies, and knowledge of specializedarea functions and workflows.
- Experience in working effectively with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
- Ability to utilize multiple computer applications toward increased productivity in arapidly changing environment.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Knowledge of safe working procedures and security measures related to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Familiarity with fair use and copyright law in relation to reserves service
- Familiarity with document accessibility practices
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced office environment
- Supervisory experience
- Experience using Sierra or another ILS and Adobe Acrobat
- Knowledge of library call number systems and online catalogs
- Project management experience
- Attention to detail
- Six months experience working in public services in a library setting
- Demonstrated ability to handle problem situations and manage emergencies
We want to emphasize that the preferred qualifications are not required and that we are committed to helping our future colleague develop these preferred skills. We strongly encourage those who are passionate about fostering diverse inclusive and equitable libraries to apply.
We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, especially people of color,women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ+ individuals.
Work Schedule: Sunday- Thursday 1:00PM-10:00PM
Driving University Vehicle: No
Security Sensitive: This is a security sensitive position
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability,genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes,educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
Classification Title: Library Services Associate
Physical Requirements: Carrying, Lifting up to 25 pounds, Sitting, Standing, Writing, Talk or Hear, Pushing, Ability to communicate
- Supervises Circulation service area workflows in the evening, oversees closing procedures and processes, suggests areas where service desk workflows can be streamlined, suggests staffing levels for the service desk. Communicates with Service Desk Manager and Head of Access Services about any issues or unusual situations that occur in the evening hours.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates one Reserves student assistant. Shares responsibilities of Service Desk student assistant management with other members of the Service Desk Unit. Communicates with unit staff to share issues and ideas for improvements.
- Ensures Reserves materials meet accessibility standards. Stays up to date on current trends in accessibility and proposes changes to procedures to better meet the needs of our diverse student body. Provides training to student employees on creating accessible e-reserves documents and oversees student assistant work. Handles any documents that involve more complex accessibility editing.
- Processes print Reserves requests and new Reserves equipment items. Creates bibliographic and item records for faculty copies and equipment items and prepares all physical reserves for circulation.
- Processes electronic Reserves requests. Creates bibliographic and item records for and oversees scanning of electronic reserves. Ensures compliance with copyright law and Reserves best practices.
- Corresponds with faculty and Subject Librarians about Course Reserves. Works with Collection Development to purchase new materials for Reserves and to increase licenses for ebook Reserves.
- Manages maintenance of print and electronic Reserves collections and files. Oversees regular maintenance of Reserves stacks. Ensures reserves equipment are functioning and replaces part and batteries as needed. Completes Reserves inventories and runs overdue Reserves lists. Reviews collections for weeding annually. Maintains Reserves database and other files.
- Manages the Reserves service and sets goals and priorities for each year. Assesses Reserves procedures and workflows and participates in discussions about Reserves policy changes. Ensures that manuals and webpages stay up to date. Compiles Reserves statistical reports.
- As a member of the Service Desk Unit, contributes to planning and implementation of unit projects. Works collaboratively with other Service Desk Unit employees on projects.Participates in discussions to assess and improve services and workflows and address perceived issues.
- Provides user and access services to library patrons. Services include circulation, patron accounts, payments, research assistance, troubleshooting technology issues, and other departmental tasks.
Posting Number: S3457P
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application. Cover letter should include a brief diversity statement explaining how the applicant will contribute to UNT's commitment to fostering an open, diverse and inclusive community.
Quicklink for Posting: https://jobs.untsystem.edu/postings/54388