Reference Associate PT -- Collin College -- Plano, TX
Collin College Plano Campus Library
Reference Associate PT
Application Link: https://collin.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=2166&site=6
Provide reference services to patrons. Maintain current and accurate periodical information. Educate students on how to search databases and the library catalog.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide reference services to patrons of the library. Explain and assist in the use of reference sources, books, online databases and Internet Web search engines to locate information.
- Request inter-library loans from other library systems.
- Provide assistance in the computer lab, as needed. Assist students, faculty and staff with computers, software problems, computer access and printing.
- Maintain and process library periodicals collection. Prepare periodical issues for shelving. Claim missing periodical issues with the periodical vendor.
- Perform all duties to maintain all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
- Must be available on Tuesday and Thursday evenings as well as Sundays.
vPerform other duties as assigned.
A minimum of eighteen (18) credit hours completed toward a master’s degree in library science or library and information science from a regionally accredited American Library Association (ALA) institution and two (2) years of library related work experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of search strategies
- Knowledge of college resources
- Knowledge of the reference interview process
- Knowledge of college and library policies
- Knowledge of library databases
- Knowledge of library equipment
- Customer service skills
- Instructional skills
- Computer and applicable software skills
- Analytical skills
- Organizational skills
- Research and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to analyze information sources
- Ability to process reports
- Ability to maintain budget for ordering
- Ability to help customers with their basic computer needs, including e-mail, answering Microsoft product questions, and navigating the Internet
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly having to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for the Sedentary Work category and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated Light Work. Positions in this class typically include talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions, plus stooping, kneeling, crouching, and reaching. Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment. Little physical effort required.