Librarian - Technical Services - Cataloger -- Waco-McLennan County Library -- Waco, TX
Seeking an engaged, versatile, and experienced cataloger for the position of Cataloging Librarian. As the lead cataloger in an active and highly collaborative technical services department, the Cataloging Librarian works with a broad range of formats and materials, including audiovisual materials, specialized kits, and genealogical materials. The Cataloging librarian supports timely and efficient access to library materials in all formats and performs a variety of database maintenance work to ensure the integrity and fullness of cataloging data. The ideal candidate will be attentive to details and standards while taking into consideration local practices and goals.
- Knowledge of cataloging principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of original and copy cataloging of material and maintaining authority files and database maintenance.
- Knowledge of establishing local cataloging practices and standards.
- Knowledge of various computer programs, bibliographic support systems and the Internet.
- Knowledge of Dewey Decimal Classification System, LC subject headings, MARC formats and AACR2R, RDA, OCLC standards and cataloging tools.
- Must possess knowledge of various computer programs, bibliographic support systems and the Internet.
- Must have organizational, communication, goal setting and project management skills.
- Ability to learn and operate library automated system with high degree of efficiency.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, use time effectively, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and work with frequent interruptions
- Ability to exercise initiative, and independent judgment.
- Ability to pay close attention to details and concentrate on work.
- Ability to analyze and to creatively solve problems related to the position.
- Accuracy in clerical skills, including typing and filing, is required.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to flourish in a changing environment.
- Cross-training in order to perform other duties and responsibilities is required.
Education: Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution
Experience: Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a library professional.
Extensive knowledge of: MARC records format, RDA rules, Dewey Decimal Classification System, Library of Congress subject headings, and Integrated Library Systems (ILS) best practices.
Applicants must submit a completed City of Waco application in order to be considered for this position. Resumes may be attached to the completed application. www.waco-texas.com/
Minimum salary $41,245