Public Services Librarian -- Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary -- Ft. Worth, TX
Address of Job Location: 2101 Yates Street, Fort Worth, TX 76115
Job Summary: Responsible for the orderly operation of the Public Services department, including Reference and Circulation; accountable for direct assistance to library patrons; instruction in the use of the library and its resources; supervision of interlibrary loan (lending) functions; the circulation, return, and shelving of books; assignment of the doctoral carrels and oversight of the library’s online presence; and collaborate with the Dean of Libraries and other staff librarians in the development and maintenance of research tools and databases.
Job Responsibilities: Essential Job Functions / Responsibilities
- Manages the Public Services/Circulation area
- Facilitates the orderly operation of the Public Services/Circulation, including interpreting policies and procedures, updating training manuals and maintaining departmental equipment
- Provides ongoing training and evaluation of Public Services/Circulation student employees
- Develops employee schedule to ensure area is properly staffed
- Collaborates with the Dean of Library to sustain the library’s online presence
- Participates in planning and conducting new student orientation
- Coordinates use of doctoral study carrels
- Collaborate with the Dean of Libraries and other staff librarians in the development and maintenance of research tools, digital resources, and databases.
- Assists/instructs students in library research, both proactively and reactively, giving special attention to reference books, library catalog, and bibliographic and full-text computer databases
- Manages daily Interlibrary Loan operations, user reports, and usage statistics
- Opens and closes the library building as needed
- Supervises the shipping and receiving materials requested by remote patrons, off-campus students and alumni
- Gathers and reports circulation statistics
- Perform other related duties as assigned and specific to area of responsibility
Job Requirements: Skills / Requirements
- Familiarity with MS Office, OCLC, WorldCat, Sierra (III), Proquest, Springshare, and other library vendor resources.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exhibit exemplary social skills and ensure considerate interactions with all library patrons and guests.
- Must enjoy interacting with a diverse group of people from all backgrounds and age groups.
- Exhibit a humble, patient, and collaborative spirit in order to create a healthy and vibrant work culture for the staff team.
- Possess a strong work ethic and initiative.
- Ability to multi-task, pays attention to detail, and be a team player.
- Expectation to strive for personal and professional growth in leadership and general ministry effectiveness.
Qualifications / Education:
- MLS/MLIS from an accredited ALA program required
- MTS/MDiv or course work in theology or religious education preferred
- Experience/evidence of aptitude of managerial skills
- Successful completion of background check, MVR, and credit check may be required.
- Supervision of Public Services/Circulation student staff
- Reports to the Dean of Libraries
- Daily decisions about the application of department policies and about the best ways to help library patrons with requests for information.
- Decides permanent and temporary duties for the Public Services staff, including schedule for staffing of department employees during regular library operating hours.
- Determines what projects have priority while adhering to deadlines and what information to share with patrons and the public via online announcements.
- Recommends or plans new library services offered by the Public Services Department.
Exposure to Confidential Information
Yes (Patron Library records)
- Physical able to sit and stand for long periods of time,
- Able to use computer and move about office to interact with other staff members,
- Able to attend meetings on site,
- Able to bend and/or stoop,
- Must be able to perform occasional overhead reaching, bending, stooping, twisting, and kneeling.
- Must be able to climb ladders.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- Occasionally required to stand, kneel, crouch, climb and balance, walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus