Executive Director -- Community Library of DeWitt & Jamesville -- DeWitt, NY
The Community Library of DeWitt & Jamesville is seeking an exceptional librarian to serve as its Executive Director. With a beautiful new library building constructed in 2017, the Community Library of DeWitt & Jamesville is transforming lives through opportunities for collaboration, experiential learning, and creative discovery.
CLD&J is an independent member of the Onondaga County Public Library System and serves over 16,000 people in the engaged communities of DeWitt and Jamesville, NY. CLD&J has an operating budget of over $1.5 million, a staff of 20 FTE, and yearly circulation of over 275,000. The library’s new building features a number of meeting and study rooms, comfortable seating with views, spacious children’s activity area, maker-space, teen room, and art gallery. CLD&J also has a beautiful and unique outdoor area that supports activities and workshops that inform patrons about nature, the local environment, conservation, preservation, gardening, and the beauty of the outdoors. With its “Discovery To Go” collection of child-friendly STEM-related equipment and resources, its award-winning Digital Production workshops for teens, and innovative programs for homeschooling families and older adults, CLD&J enriches the lives of all community residents while retaining traditional library collections and friendly, personalized service.
DeWitt and Jamesville are located just outside the City of Syracuse in the geographic center of New York State and offer changing seasons and easy access to beautiful lakes, forests, and mountains, making it a perfect spot for outdoor enthusiasts. Other assets include reasonable cost of living and housing prices, excellent schools, cultural amenities, and frequent sporting events. New York City, Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. are only a few hours away by plane, train, or automobile.
Visit the library’s web site at https://cldandj.org/ for more information.
The Executive Director is responsible for all library operations and reports to the Board of Trustees.
- Works collaboratively with the Library Board of Trustees in areas including long range and strategic planning, policy development and budgetary planning.
- Manages an annual budget, including monitoring and approving expenditures, and maintaining and presenting up-to-date records and reports including those required by the Library Board of Trustees, the state of NY and annual audits.
- Fosters a collaborative work environment while effectively managing library personnel recruitment, supervision, development and evaluation.
- Develops and leads dynamic programming supporting the needs of the community.
- Oversees the library’s collection development and maintenance policies and procedures.
- Develops and maintains effective collaborations and partnerships with stakeholders and key constituency groups.
- Develops short-term and long-range goals in in support of the CLD&J’s mission and policies.
- Markets and promotes the library’s services, programs and resources using innovative and effective strategies.
- Provides the Library Board of Trustees with accurate information and context for decision making.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of library programs, services, policies and procedures, and submits recommendations for initiatives and improvements to the Board.
- Keeps abreast of trends and innovations that enhance service and programs, inform library operations, and improve access to library resources and services.
- Identifies, seeks and maintains external funding opportunities to supplement local funding of library operations, programs and development.
- Prepares state, local, and other reports and statistics as needed or required.
- Oversees the maintenance of the library property and building and recommends repairs and alterations as necessary.
- Demonstrates strong and ethical leadership within a culture that encourages and rewards creative-thinking, collaboration and open communication among staff members and in the community.
- Develops and communicates a shared vision for the library that serves as a foundation for library services and operations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively present and persuade both orally and in writing.
- Deep enthusiasm for following innovations, current trends, technologies, and best practices for public libraries and effectively applying them to library services.
- Ability to manage change, build consensus, and make difficult decisions when necessary.
- Ability to analyze and interpret information, including fiscal, in order to inform effective strategies and decisions.
- A strong commitment to public service, inclusion, diversity, equity and community engagement.
- Master's Degree in Library Science, Information Studies or other graduate library degree accredited by the American Library Association.
- Possess or be eligible at time of appointment for a New York State Public Librarian Certificate.
- Seven or more years of satisfactory professional library experience, including at least three to five years of supervisory experience in a management or leadership role.
- Significant fiscal management experience; experience securing external funding preferred.
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Salary: $75,000, depending on experience and qualifications, with competitive benefits.
To Apply: email a cover letter and resume as Word or PDF attachments by Septermber 30th, 2020 to email@example.com. Please include three references.
The Community Library of DeWitt & Jamesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Library does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of a person’s race, religion, creed, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, gender dysphoria, marital status, family status, pregnancy, military status, veteran status, genetic information including predisposing genetic characteristics or carrier status, arrest or conviction record, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally protected class or status.