Assistant Director of Customer Experience (ADCE) -- Houston Public Library -- Houston, TX
PN#23582 ASSISTANT DIRECTOR - LIBRARY (EXE LEV), CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The Houston Public Library (HPL) seeks a passionate, experienced library professional with proven leadership skills and an ability to motivate and inspire staff to become the next Assistant Director of Customer Experience (ADCE). This individual is smart and strategic, effective, timely and innovative in delivery of objectives with experience in public library service delivery, project management, operational improvement and change management. HPL serves a population of 2.2 million citizens through a network of 37 Neighborhood Libraries spread out across the Houston area, a Central Library, and three Special Collections Libraries.
The ADCE serves alongside the Deputy Director of Customer Experience as an integral member of the Houston Public Library's Executive Leadership Team and plays a critical role in leading HPL forward. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the ability to blend traditional and leading-edge library services in an environment of continuous improvement.
Under the direction of the Deputy Director of Customer Experience, the essential duties and functions of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Providing strategic direction for the Central Library, 36 Neighborhood Libraries, and 3 Special Collections Libraries with up to 7 direct reports and approximately 350 indirect reports;
- Directly supervising, coaching, and mentoring Senior Managers of Central Library, Neighborhood Libraries and Special Collections;
- Resolving complex customer issues, ensuring consistent operations between HPL's locations, and overseeing the performance and development of frontline staff in partnership with the Deputy Assistant Director of Customer Experience;
- Serving as an organizational leader, with a focus on operational improvement and change management as well as serving as a large-scale project manager;
- Working closely with the Deputy Director of Customer Experience to develop initiatives and strategies to enhance the service priorities and goals for the Library and City; and
- Assisting in the planning process of Library renovations and representing the Department at Capital Improvement Plan meetings in the community.
Applicants are required to submit a Cover Letter and Resume when applying.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Position requires stooping and bending; lifting of library materials up to 20 pounds. Must be able to move freely throughout the library to file/retrieve library materials. Must be able to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- EDUCATION: Requires a Master's degree in Library Science or a closely related field.
- EXPERIENCE: Seven years of professional library experience are required.
Preference will be given to applicants that:
- Have a Master of Library Science degree from a school accredited by American Library Association (ALA) Have successful experience in a management or leadership capacity at a large urban library
- Have experience working with people of diverse backgrounds
- Communicate effectively
- Exhibit strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Are bilingual
- Have current or recent engagement with professional national and/or statewide library organizations
- Possess up to date and proficient knowledge of MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint and Word)
- Highly developed writing and presentation skills
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6**
- SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED: None
However, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
- SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: No
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 32
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832) 393-6069.
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832) 393-6069. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.