Librarian, Catalog and Metadata -- University of Houston Clear Lake -- Houston, TX
Alfred R. Neumann Library, University of Houston Clear Lake - Librarian, Catalog and Metadata
The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian will provide leadership, guidance, and expertise to the team for original, adjusted and copy cataloging, and bibliographic control for a wide range of materials in various formats as well as metadata for library digital projects. Reporting to the Associate Director of Technology and Resource Management, the incumbent will lead planning, evaluation, and implementation of metadata and cataloging policies, standards, procedures, and workflows, as well as represent the library in implementing cataloging policies and procedures related to the shared Ex Libris Alma/Primo Platform. Will also manage the federal and state depository collections.
- Produce original and complex copy cataloging in a variety of formats for the library collections and Archives and Special Collections materials according to national, shared system, and local standards; perform general catalog maintenance such as bibliographic records enhancement, reclassification, holdings and item record editing.
- Collaborate with other library units to develop, implement, assess, and refine metadata workflows, policies, and procedures for the library's digital collections within Institutional Repository.
- Train cataloging staff in cataloging/metadata standards, new technology applications, systems, and tools to continuously improve cataloging/metadata efficiency and quality; supervise daily operations of a copy cataloger and student workers.
- Maintain Cataloging Procedures manual to document all current cataloging and processing procedures. Compile statistical reports regarding bibliographic data of collection.
- Oversee and maintain library's government documents collection to ensure compliance with FDLP regulations.
- Serve as a library faculty liaison and participates in collection development to assigned disciplines.
- Participate in scholarly and professional activities including publication of journal articles and book reviews, and presentations at regional and national professional conferences that contribute to the practice of academic librarianship.
- Participate in and contribute to departmental, library and campus-wide, system wide committees or working groups as well as the profession at a regional, national, and/or international level and perform other duties as assigned.
- Master's Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited school.
- Minimum three years of cataloging experience in an academic or public library.
- Demonstrated experience in using cataloging tools such as OCLC Connexion and MarcEdit to perform original and complex copy cataloging within an Integrated Library System.
- Knowledge of current descriptive and subject cataloging practices such as RDA, AACR2, LCSH, LCC, MARC21 formats, and authority control.
- 5. Knowledge of one or more non-MARC metadata formats, especially EAD, Dublin Core.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Five years of recent cataloging experience in an academic or research library.
- One year of supervisory experience.
Required Attachments by Candidate: Resume
Notes to Applicant: Full-time position with benefits. Background check required. To apply, please complete the online application and attach a resume. Applications without the required documents will be considered incomplete and disqualified.