Librarian I (Reference and Instruction) -- Prairie View A&M University -- Prairie View, TX
Position: Librarian I (Reference and Instruction)
Position Starts: 8/1/2020
Listing Closes: 7/12/2020
Listing Submitted: 6/10/2020
Position Description: The Librarian I, under general supervision, performs tasks in Reference and Instruction areas within the library.
- Prepare, develop, and teaching information literacy instruction sessions to users be it through face to face, online, to individuals, or to groups in a classroom. Collaborating with faculty to integrate information literacy and research instruction into courses and course assignments across the curriculum. Working effectively with students, faculty, staff and library patrons. Keeping up with library instruction trends and reference service in academic libraries. Participating in planning and delivering the Library's Information Literacy and Research Instruction programs, to include, the library orientation sessions for University College, Library Tours, conducting research instruction classes, developing website content, and print materials. Preparing online and physical instructional materials, including handouts, videos and LibGuides. Participate in assessing of information literacy and library instruction services.
- Providing research assistance and to library patrons, including students, faculty, staff, and community members. Working the Reference desk on average five to six hours per shift. Identifying and interpreting user needs. Providing reference to library patrons through telephone, texting, chat, and face-to-face. Staffing the reference desk as required. Assisting with locating resources and materials in all formats. Providing readers' advisory, and computer, database and referral services. Keeping up to date with the knowledge of effectively using library databases. Participating in planning face-to-face and virtual reference service. Compiling course guides and research guides. Helping to compile reference service statistics daily, monthly and yearly.
- Reviewing and selecting print and electronic materials for library acquisition for the reference department and your assigned liaison subject areas. Assisting with selecting and weeding of the reference collection and general collection.
- Serving as a liaison librarian to assigned department(s), college, or field of study. Assist in supervision of student work study and graduate assistants in the Reference and Instruction Department. Working a flexible schedule, including one night per-week and one Saturday per month. Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others in the department and the library. Establishing and developing collaborative and productive working relationships with faculty, staff and students. Developing and participating in the library's outreach services.
- Participating and serving on Library, university, and/or library professional association committees. Attending meetings and assist with library events and programs at PVAMU. Pursuing opportunities for professional development, including workshops, conferences, seminars, and specialized training classes. Performing other duties as assigned.
Institution: Prairie View A&M University- John B. Coleman Library
Type of Library: Academic
City: Prairie View, 77446, Texas
Annual Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Comment: Proposed Minimum Salary -Commensurate
Telephone: (936) 261-1738 Fax: NA
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website Address: https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PVAMU_External
Required Education: Master of Science in Library Science (MSLS) or a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree from an American Library Association accredited program.
- Work beyond normal office hours and/or work on weekends.
- Background in Physical Sciences (Physics, Chemistry) or Computer Science or
- Proficient in conducting reference service in an academic library.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with new ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education.
- Ability to effectively teach library instruction sessions to individuals and groups especially in Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, or Engineering.
- Experience creating, research guides, tutorials, and library instruction materials.
- Ability to use educational technologies in the classroom.
- Demonstrated skill with use of current library and educational technologies, and experience with software and hardware used in academic libraries.
- Must be able to demonstrate a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Serve as a member of intra-and-inter library committees, PVAMU campus committee organizations.
- Ability to participate in state and national level professional library conferences.
- Outreach to the various colleges and to diverse groups on campus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent public service skills;
demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff and library patrons.
- Experience doing Collection Development in Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, or Engineering.
- Proficient reference skills, and information literacy instruction experience.
- Experience with use of current library ILS such as Sierra, and educational technologies desired.
- Ability to identify and interpret user needs at the reference desk, consultations and Research and Instruction classes.
- Providing reference assistance to library patrons through telephone, texting, chat, and face-to-face.
- Undertaking collection development for reference materials and in an assigned subject areas.
- Assisting in the supervision of student work study and graduate student assistants.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including one night a week and one Saturday a month.
- Knowledge of library databases and MS suites.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff and library patrons.
- Demonstrate strong teambuilding, organizational and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability and interest in new programming initiatives and outreach in an academic setting.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and on teams.
- Ability to learn new technologies and apply skills quickly.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
Contact: Naina Choudhry
Send Resume to: All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above Required Attachments section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or email@example.com should you need assistance with the online application process.
Special Instructions: Licensing / Professional Certification- None
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer