Head of Special Collections/University Archivist -- University of Central Arkansas -- Conway, AR
Torreyson Library at the University of Central Arkansas is seeking an innovative and collaborative individual to become the Head of Special Collections/University Archivist. This person will be responsible for all aspects of the administration and development of the department. He or she may also participate in library reference and instruction services and will be expected to integrate the special collections and archives with broader library service programs.
This will be a library faculty appointment. Faculty librarians have the right to choose with the initial appointment whether to accept tenure-track or non-tenure-track status. All personnel appointed to the library faculty must hold the appropriate terminal degree, a master’s degree accredited by the American Library Association (ALA). For additional information, please see the UCA Faculty Handbook (https://uca.edu/go/facultyhandbook).
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee acquisition, preservation, organization, digitization, and use of collections
- Initiate and administer outreach and promotion efforts and special projects
- Develop goals and strategies for the Archives
- Provide assistance and instruction to patrons and classes, especially for the History Department (https://uca.edu/history)
- Supervise full-time and part-time staff and student workers
- Cultivate relationships with both internal and external constituencies
- Conduct research on Arkansas and UCA history, making findings available in various formats, such as journals, blogs, exhibit materials, newsletters, or presentations
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent organizational skills, with attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of archival and library best practices
- Ability to demonstrate vision and strategic thinking
- Willingness to embrace change
- Ability to effectively adapt to and use new technologies and software
- Strong customer service orientation
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development
Required Education and/or Experience
- MLS or other appropriate ALA-accredited master’s degree
- Archival experience and/or formal coursework in archival management
- Supervisory experience
- Familiarity with technologies and systems developed or adapted by the archival community for the management of and access to archives
Preferred Education and/or Experience
- Degree in history (graduate preferred)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Arkansas history
- A record of relevant scholarship and publication
- Certification by the Academy of Certified Archivists (preferred, not required)
Salary: $55,000-56,000, commensurate with qualifications.
Full-time, 12 Month, with Benefits
Desired start date: July 1, 2020
Open until filled. Review of applications will begin on March 22.
This position is governed by state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
Please apply through University of Central Arkansas Office of Human Resources: https://jobs.uca.edu/postings/6658