Librarian I -- Austin Public Library -- Austin, TX
Austin Public Library
$19.64 – $24.04
This position will focus on reference and adult services at the Central Library. It will not involve cataloging or archival collections.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Provides in-depth reference services and reader’s advisory to the public.
- Compiles bibliographies, reference guides, and indexes.
- Prepares and presents programs in the community and the library.
- Purchases and maintains assigned portion of collection according to budgetary guidelines and assesses collection on a regular basis.
- Appraises, organizes, and processes specialized archival collections.
- Provides basic preservation of archival materials.
- Provides instruction and classes in the use of computer hardware and software. Initiates and maintains contact with schools and with other individuals and groups serving youth in the community.
- Initiates and maintains contact with schools and with other individuals and groups serving youth in the community.
- Provides library tours and orientations. Explains policies to public and staff.
- Compiles and prepares reports.
- Collects, maintains, and prepares reports.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised: None.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of public library issues and trends.
- Knowledge of library automation and electronic resources.
- Knowledge of reference tools and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software, including Microsoft Office products.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in working with and providing training and/or programming for youth.
- Ability to stay current on library profession and services by attending classes and seminars.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of customer service principles and experience providing effective customer service
- Experience providing reference services and readers advisory in a large public library over the phone, email, chat, and in person
- Strong proficiency with and interest in current and emerging technologies as applicable to public libraries
- Experience teaching/training customers and staff individually and in classroom settings
- Knowledge of collection development and experience performing collection development tasks
- Experience planning public programs
- Experience writing content for a library (website, blogs and information guides)
- Spanish Language Proficiency preferred
- Records management experience preferred
Minimum Qualifications Master’s Degree from an ALA accredited Program, or must be received with six (6) months of employment.
Licenses and Certifications Required: May require a valid operator’s license and the use of a personal vehicle.
- Must be able to stoop bend, walk, and reach heights of six (6) feet.
- Must be able to lift or pull book bags and equipment up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Must be able to push loaded book truck up to three hundred (300) pounds.
- Must have manual dexterity to operate computer keyboard.
Job Open: 02/07/2020
Job Close: 02/28/2020
Company Website: http://library.austintexas.gov/