Library Associate (Circulation) -- University of Houston-Clear Lake -- Houston, Tx
The Library Associate provides patrons with services and information at the library Circulation Desk, including checking library materials in/out and answering procedural/directional questions. Is responsible for development and maintenance of library reserves collections (hard copy and electronic), including the processing of reserves materials, creating reserve records in library management system and reserves-related communications with UHCL faculty.
Schedule: Monday – Thursday, 9:00am – 6:00pm and Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm. Hours can vary during periods between semesters and occasional night shifts may be required.
- Performs all Circulation desk duties including checking in and out materials using the library's automated patron database/catalog system (Alma), maintains patron records, and explains library circulation policies to patrons.
- Collects, processes, and maintains library and personal faculty materials for library’s Reserves collection.
- Uses the Alma reserves module to create catalog records for reserve materials.
- Oversees stacks maintenance, including directing student workers, inspecting book stacks on a regular basis to ensure materials are stored neatly and in order and confirming signage is accurate. Assigns and monitors shelf-reading assignments.
- Works with supervisor to identify and implement major shifts of the library’s collection.
- Oversees all tasks associated with missing library materials including identifying missing materials, performing detailed searches of the library stacks for missing items and documenting the search process.
- Oversees library book repair process. Performs minor repairs to damaged books and notifies librarians of damaged materials in their subject areas.
- Participates in the supervision of 10-13 student employees. Screens applications, participates in student employee interviews, and directs/monitors student employee activity.
- Performs and oversees library opening and closing procedures and all aspects of the Circulation Desk when on weekend or solo duty and performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Two years of library or office experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Extensive working knowledge of integrated library system Alma in order to answer patron questions, locate information, and perform all reserve procedures. Able to utilize the circulation and reserve subsystems.
- Knowledge of the Copyright Law. Ability to suggest procedural changes.
- Good computer and data entry skills with a high degree of accuracy using Microsoft office (spreadsheets, word processing, and email).
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes evenings.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and problem-solving abilities in working with patrons and staff. Ability to deal with library patrons with tact and diplomacy and to direct library student techs.
- Knowledge of the Library of Congress, Dewey, and SuDoc catalog classification systems.
- Working knowledge of photocopiers and extensive knowledge of scanning technology in order to place electronic reserves on the library server.
- Ability to multitask, organize and prioritize tasks as necessary as well as ability to work unsupervised at night and on weekends.
- Experience with an integrated Library System.
- Experience working in Library Public Services.
Required Attachments by Candidate: Resume
Notes to Applicant: Full-time position with benefits. Background check required. To apply, please complete the online application and attach a resume. Applications without the required documents will be considered incomplete and disqualified. Applications must be received before close of business on 02/19/2020 for full consideration.
Salary: $14.29 - $16.35 per hour