Business and Career Specialist - Square One -- Mid-Continent Public Library -- Independence, MO
Position: Business and Career Specialist - Square One
Location: Independence, MO
Job Id: 1263
# of Openings: 1
More info: https://www.mymcpl.org/library-information/working-with-MCPL/employment-...
This position will be open until filled.
NOTE: This is a one-year position, funded by a grant from the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation. Please note that the Library cannot guarantee employment beyond the end of the grant funding.
The Business and Career Specialist is responsible for modeling excellent customer service to all staff and customers by providing outreach and training to the business community as well as library staff. This position also works within a team to continuously grow the Square One Small Business program.
Salary/Wage: $19.23 per hour plus benefits
This is a full-time, overtime non-exempt position
The schedule for this position includes daytime, evening, and weekend hours. The schedule for this position is based on the needs of the department and is subject to change.
Reports to: Information and Reader Services Manager
- Supports, promotes, implements, and makes decisions based on established Library policies, guidelines, and programs
- Knowledge and support of the principles of intellectual freedom including the Library Bill of Rights and the Freedom to Read statement
- Models excellent customer service attitude and delivery, supporting a collaborative and inclusive workplace
- Consistently acknowledges and appreciates all Library employees’ contributions
- Contributes positively to the efforts of supervisors and peers
- Establishes and maintains supportive working relationships with internal and external customers
- This position requires a valid driver’s license.
Essential Job Functions:
- System expert for workforce and employment skills software
- Educates business community, job seekers, and hiring organizations on workforce and employment skills software
- Creates Job Skills workshops
- Works with other organization to assess gaps in workforce related services
- Liaison for the business community and job seekers
- Conducts presentations to businesses, organizations, chambers, and staff on the Library’s business resources
- Represents the Library by attending different business organizations meetings and events
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of the Library’s business resources
- Coordinates with Community Programming and Marketing on programs that will support the small business community
- Trials and evaluates existing and potential online resources
- Keeps up to date with trends in the business world
- Assists staff with business related inquiries from the public
- Maintains relationships with the business community
- Writes blogs and articles, and assists with video creation on topics pertinent to small business
- Assists with promotional posts and videos to market Square One events and classes
- Contributes to Square One Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts
- Creates content for resource partners
- Possession of a valid driver license and a reliable personal vehicle for use in carrying out the duties of this position including transportation of materials and equipment (mileage reimbursed)
Non-essential Job Functions:
- Conducts one-on-one consultations on library and business resources
- Participates in various business committees
- Attends meetings as needed
- Serves on MCPL committees as needed
- Models excellent customer service attitude and delivery
- Demonstrates proven computer literacy with adequate keyboarding skills
- Uses effective verbal, written, and discreet communication with management, co-workers, and the public
- Exhibits self-motivation with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and planning skills with ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently
- Possesses ability to adapt quickly to new technologies
- Performs duties requiring the exercise of professional skill, initiative, and independent judgment
- Successfully handles matters of conflict
- Remains current on trends in the business and library fields
- Demonstrates skill in document creation, data entry, and manipulation
- Demonstrates excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Possesses ability to maintain a flexible 40 hours per week schedule that occasionally requires capacity to change schedule on short notice
- Demonstrates ability to learn and subsequently train staff on reference- and business- related topics
- Possesses knowledge of the library’s business information resources
Experience and Training:
- Bachelor's degree or comparable business experience required
- Competent in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Workflows or other library software preferred
- Knowledge of social media preferred
- Public speaking ability
Essential physical abilities to be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodation are:
- Clarity of speech and hearing which permits the employee to communicate effectively with the supervisor and other employees.
- Vision which permits the employee to produce and review a wide variety of library materials, written correspondence, reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Manual dexterity which permits the employee to operate a keyboard and any other assigned equipment.
- Personal mobility which permits the employee to monitor and perform assigned library operations, and to attend Library meetings at various locations.
- Must be able to lift up to 40-pounds, push and pull carts weighing up to 200-pounds, bend, stoop, and lift and move tables and chairs.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.