Librarian II -- Austin Public Library -- Austin, TX
Salary $21.48 - $27.33
The Librarian II will provide youth services in a neighborhood branch library serving a culturally diverse community.
Librarian will develop and implement a variety of programming for young people aged 0-18. These programs will include story-times and other literature-based programming, STEAM activities, crafts and hosting performers. Librarian will also provide resource-based services such as homework assistance, database instruction, and other services for young people.
Duties Include: Assists customers in exploring their interests and completing homework research. Provides professional reference service and instruction on use of digital and traditional resources to young people and their advocates. Initiates and maintains contact with schools and with other individuals and groups serving youth in the community. Collects statistics and prepares monthly reports on programs, projects, and activities offered. May assist in the selection of materials related to youth topics in print, non-print and electronic formats. May assist in volunteer recruitment and supervision. Performs public relations duties as required and May assist in hiring and mentoring employees.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Assists staff and public with use of electronic information sources, software, internet and research databases.
- Provides assistance/instruction on use of library facilities and resources.
- Develops and evaluates collections of library materials and selects appropriate materials for assigned collection.
- Acquires, maintains, and assesses assigned collection.
- Generates reports and statistics on programming, funding and collection.
- Provides direct reference services to customers.
- Uses personal computer to perform a variety of circulation or collection-related duties.
- Compiles bibliographies and user guides. Performs original and edit cataloging.
- Resolves cataloging problems and maintains online public catalog.
- Appraises, organizes and processes special archival collections. Provides basic conservation of archival materials.
- Conducts meetings, training sessions and public programs.
- Schedules, coordinates and promotes library programming for assigned group.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised: May lead others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of money handling and accounting practices.
- Knowledge of books, electronic databases, internet resources, bibliographies and reference materials.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in using computers and related software, including Microsoft Office products.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in reviewing material to insure accuracy, completeness and adherence to established formats and procedures.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective relationships with employees and the public.
- Ability to stay current on archive issues and trends.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
- Ability to operate required vehicle safely.
- Ability to read, understand and follow maps and mapping directions.
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited university plus two (2) years’ experience as a professional librarian.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Experience working with Youths 0-18 years
- Outreach experience (schools and community groups) at least 2 years
- Previous story time experience
- Previous experience with craft programming
- Knowledge of STEAM programs
Job Application close: 08/25/2019