Reference Associate -- Collin College -- Plano, TX
2800 E Spring Creek Pkwy, Spring Creek Campus
Plano, Texas, 75074
We are searching for an experienced Reference Associate
Provide reference services to patrons. Maintain current and accurate periodical information. Educate students on how to search databases and the library catalog.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide reference services to patrons of the library. Explain and assist in the use of reference sources, books, online databases and Internet Web search engines to locate information. Request inter-library loans from other library systems.
- Provide assistance in the computer lab, as needed. Assist students, faculty and staff with computers, software problems, computer access and printing.
- Maintain and process library periodicals collection. Prepare periodical issues for shelving. Claim missing periodical issues with the periodical vendor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all duties to maintain all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
Must be available to work Tuesday and Thursday evenings 5:00pm - 9:45pm and Sundays 1pm-5pm.
Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution and one (1) year of library experience required. Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution and two (2) years of library experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of search strategies
- Knowledge of college resources
- Knowledge of the reference interview process
- Knowledge of college and library policies
- Knowledge of library databases
- Knowledge of library equipment
- Customer service skills
- Instructional skills
- Computer and applicable software skills
- Analytical skills
- Organizational skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to analyze information sources
- Ability to process reports
- Ability to maintain budget for ordering
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly having to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for the Sedentary Work category and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated Light Work. Positions in this class typically include talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions, plus stooping, kneeling, crouching, and reaching. Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment. Occasional physical effort required.
***This is a Security Sensitive position. Therefore candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.***
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
Employment Type: Part-time Staff
Compensation Type: Hourly
Compensation Range: $16.93 - 16.93
For any employment questions, please contact HR at (972) 985-3783 or email email@example.com.
Collin College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.