Cataloging and Metadata Librarian -- Baylor University -- Waco, TX
Job Title: Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
Vacancy Number (HISTORICAL): F020193
Vacancy Number: F020193
Position Type: Professional
Baylor University is a private Christian university and a nationally ranked research institution, consistently listed with highest honors among The Chronicle of Higher Education’s "Great Colleges to Work For." The University is recruiting new faculty with a deep commitment to excellence in teaching, research and scholarship. Baylor seeks faculty who share in our aspiration to become a tier one research institution while strengthening our distinctive Christian mission as described in our strategic vision, Pro Futuris, and academic strategic plan, Illuminate. As the world’s largest Baptist University, Baylor offers over 40 doctoral programs and has more than 17,000 students from all 50 states and more than 85 countries.
Rank: Academic Professional
Tenure Information: Non-Tenure Track
- Perform original and copy cataloging for all Law Library receipts in all media formats;
- Create and maintain metadata representing the Law Library’s print and digital resources;
- Maintain Law Library holdings in the online catalog;
- Supervise the check-in and processing of all Law Library receipts in all formats;
- Coordinate with catalogers in the Central Libraries regarding downloading of MARC vendor records and changes in cataloging procedures;
- Draft monthly "New Acquisitions List";
- Compile and maintain annual statistics;
- Perform occasional basic book repair and conservation of Law Library materials, including spine and page repairs and rebinding when necessary;
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the government documents collection to ensure compliance with FDLP regulations. Selected responsibilities include: unpacking and processing paper receipts; updating new online records each month to reflect proper material type and adding Law Library holdings to all online items selected; maintaining monthly lists of purl referrals to track online usage of government documents; item selection; weeding and maintaining collection; and completing and submitting the FDLP biennial survey and any additional correspondence to/from the FDLP;
- Participate in university committees and collaborate with colleagues in other departments on programs and policies; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master of Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited school;
- Demonstrated knowledge of cataloging principles;
- Knowledge of AACR2, RDA, LC classification, LCSH, MARC 21, and OCLC Connexion;
- Familiarity with the Federal Depository Library Program; and
Preferred Qualifications: Familiarity with the Ex Libris Alma library services platform
Rank and Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Part-Time / Full-Time: Full Time
Working at Baylor is so much more than simply having a job! As part of the Baylor family, employees not only receive a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, and fantastic automatic retirement contributions, they also get to experience Baylor.
- Experience the culture of working for an institution consistently ranked as a "Great College to Work For" by The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Experience a mission driven organization based on a strong Christian commitment (www.baylor.edu/about)
- Experience Baylor academics with outstanding tuition remission for eligible staff and qualified dependents
- Experience our beautiful campus with access to libraries, museums, and recreational facilities such as our fitness center, athletic courts, an indoor swimming pool, and the Baylor marina to name a few
- Experience our great dining facilities and enjoy an employee discount
- Experience Baylor athletics with reduced admission or free access to athletic events
- Experience Baylor through many more wonderful events and programs that take place on campus each year
- Conveniently located in Waco, Texas, Baylor University is approximately 90 miles from both the Dallas-Fort Worth and Austin areas. To learn more about life in Waco, visit http://wacochamber.com/community/about-waco.
Baylor University is a private not-for-profit university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, Baylor is committed to compliance with all applicable anti-discrimination laws, including those regarding age, race, color, sex, national origin, marital status, pregnancy status, military service, genetic information, and disability. As a religious educational institution, Baylor is lawfully permitted to consider an applicant’s religion among its selection criteria. Baylor encourages women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply.
Desired Start Date: 09/01/2019
Open Date: 06/03/2019
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submission Instructions: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To ensure full consideration, application must be submitted by August 9, 2019.
Application Procedure: Submit a letter of application, a current resume/curriculum vitae, and transcripts. Include contact information for three professional references from whom you have requested letters of recommendation. Send application materials to Brandon Quarles, Director of the law Library and Professor of Law, at Brandon_Quarles@baylor.edu.