Operations Lead -- University of Arizona -- Tucson, AZ
Title: Operations Lead
Department: Libraries - Administration (1701)
Location: Main Campus
The University of Arizona Libraries seek an Operations Lead for CATalyst Studios, our new makerspace and digital research center opening in the renovated Main Library Fall of 2019. This space will be an expansion of our current makerspace, the iSpace (https://new.library.arizona.edu/ispace), as well as a dedicated virtual/augmented reality and media studio, a data studio with a data visualization wall, and adjacent classrooms. CATalyst Studios will form a hub of collaborative, hands-on learning through deep engagement with technology that enables UA students to achieve academic success as well as preparation for the modern workplace.
The Operations Lead will manage and coordinate the daily operations of the CATalyst Studios. They will foster a creative community of practice, supporting a generative ethos for this new, dynamic and collaborative space and service of the UA Libraries. The Operations Lead will develop and manage a team of student workers, and together they will support a creative, iterative space. The day-to-day management of the physical space will require attention to detail and development of procedures and policies in collaboration with the Director, the Technology Lead, and multiple departments within the library. The Operations Lead will also be encouraged to engage in and develop new projects that support the mission of the CATalyst Studios.
CATalyst Studios will be run by a cooperative team that includes the Operations Lead, Technology Lead and Director as well as student workers and graduate assistants. We will work together to grow and support a generative and creative space and community. Expect a rich and collaborative team environment with ample opportunity to create new opportunities.
Visit the University Libraries website to learn more about us.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
The University of Arizona is in the process of creating a new classification and compensation architecture. This University Career Architecture Project (UCAP) will revolutionize the way we think about professions and manage compensation at the UA. It is a two year initiative that will replace the current classified staff and appointed professional categories of employment with market-based job functions and families. As an applicant, UCAP will create clearer career paths and opportunities and will help you make more informed pay decisions. To learn more about this project, please visit ucap.arizona.edu.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervises a team of student workers and makes decisions regarding hiring, training, work distribution, evaluation, and termination of employees
- Develops and implements student worker training initiatives along with robust coaching and mentoring to create an environment of continuous learning and growth
- Acts as a liaison with the library’s Access and Information Services , Marketing and Communications, and Facilities teams to support the activities of CATalyst Studios.
- Provides excellent service, which develops and fosters learning communities, including supporting peer-to-peer learning opportunities
- Builds and maintains excellent relations with faculty, students and the broader campus community
- Ensures safety of library users, employees, and security of library materials through application of library and University policies and procedures
- Plans and schedules workshops in collaboration with Library and campus partners
- Triages consultation requests and manages drop-in and scheduled sessions
- Plans, designs and produces events at the CATalyst Studios
- Coordinates physical exhibitions in the CATalyst Studios
- Manages room scheduling, including room set-up and configuration
- Creates assessment tools, and collects and analyzes data related to the use of the Studios and the needs of users
- The UA Libraries support the UA’s diversity and inclusiveness strategic initiatives designed to create an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students. The candidate is expected to support diversity and inclusiveness efforts in the department and college.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to support multiple creative projects of students, staff and instructors through participatory engagement and project management
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tact, discretion, and good judgment as well as skill in developing and maintaining good working relationships, including donor development support
- Skill in recruiting, training, coaching, and performance management of direct reports
- Knowledge of supervisory principles, practices and techniques
- Ability to develop, manage and maintain data collection efforts
- Skill in supervising the functions and staff of makerspace, VR and other learning studios
- Ability to create a welcoming culture at the CATalyst Studios, where inclusivity and empathy are prioritized
- Ability to create an environment that is user-oriented
- Excellent project planning, project management, and collaborative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives
- Positive attitude and strong demonstration of Our Values: Collaboration, Continuous Learning, Diversity, Innovation, and Integrity
- Bachelor’s degree AND 2 or more years related experience OR any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education
- Prior supervisory experience
- Experience with budget management, including financial planning and projecting, monitoring expenditures, and developing budgetary solutions
- Demonstrated experience with technology and software programs
- Experience supervising graduate and undergraduate students
- Familiarity with common maker tools featured in the CATalyst Studios
- Familiarity with Virtual Reality
- Experience with event planning and coordination
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job Category: Administrative and Professional
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Posted Rate of Pay: $45,000 - $55,000 Annually
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Number: A23842
Number of Vacancies: One
Limited to Current UA Employees: No
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Date: 07/05/2019
Open Until Filled: Yes
Review Begins On: 08/01/2019
Special Instructions to Applicant
In your cover letter, please describe how your qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Quick Link for Internal Postings: http://uacareers.com/postings/39610