Librarian II -- South Texas College -- McAllen, TX
Min Salary: $39,000.00
Close Date: 07/24/2019
General Statement of Job
The Librarian II – Academic Outreach collaborates with the Librarian III – Outreach and Instruction to develop information resources and provide services to promote and support library instruction and library liaison outreach. Develops, promotes, implements, maintains and helps evaluate library resources and services for students, faculty, staff, and community users. Supervises and trains assigned staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops, implements, and maintains an outreach program focused on increasing awareness of the South Texas College Library.
- Develops and maintains collaborative partnerships with departments at the college and with Dual Credit partnering school districts.
- Plans, develops and implements virtual services and instruction for distance learning and dual credit students in partnering school districts.
- Provides reference services in person, by phone, and chat.
- Provides library instruction in accordance with the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) guidelines for academic libraries, in both face-to-face and online teaching environments.
- Conducts library tours and represents the library at campus events.
- Serves as library liaison to assigned academic departments.
- Participates in collection development activities.
- Assists in developing and providing library instruction training.
- Assists with library outreach to faculty through the creation and maintenance of instructional resources, including web-based guides and video tutorials.
- Assists in developing and maintaining library webpage and social media content as assigned.
- Assists in developing and maintaining online collections and services.
- Assists with circulation services as needed.
- Assists in maintaining current, accurate departmental files and records and procedures manuals.
- Maintains professional knowledge of library and information science.
- Keeps abreast of current in developments of specific job related fields.
- Participates in a variety of committees as assigned.
- Travels throughout the college district, as needed.
- Recommends for hire, supervises, trains, assigns schedules, and evaluates assigned staff; provides guidance and direction to staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Master's Degree in Library Science and/or Information Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program required.
- At least two (2) years of demonstrated library instruction experience in face-to-face and/or online classrooms required.
- Recent academic library experience, preferred.
- At least one (1) year of supervisory experience required.
Checks, Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
- All applicants are subject to a national criminal background check under South Texas College policy.
- Security Sensitive position: In addition, subject to federal background check.
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and proof of liability insurance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
South Texas College is an equal education and equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. As an equal education institution and equal opportunity employer, the College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. Discrimination is prohibited and the College will comply with all applicable College policies, and state and federal legislation. This policy extends to individuals seeking employment with and admission to the College.
Title IX Statement
Title IX of the Education Amendments 1972 (20 U.S.C. s1681 et seq.) and its implementing regulations, 34 C.F.R. Part 106 (Title IX), “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
For additional information and to apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1507924