Marketing Specialist (Publicity Manager) -- University of Arizona -- Tucson, AZ
Title: Marketing Specialist (Publicity Manager)
Department: University of Arizona Press (0801)
Location: Main Campus
The University of Arizona Press, an award-winning publisher of scholarly and regional books, seeks a motivated professional to plan and execute publicity strategy for the Press and its books. As the premier publisher of academic, regional, and literary works in the state of Arizona, the Press publishes approximately 55 new titles annually and maintains a backlist of more than 1,600 works.
This position secures national, regional, and local attention for the Press, its books, and its author-experts through a variety of channels, including media placements, author events and book festivals, social networks, and original content development. This is an opportunity to join a department that helps represent the University of Arizona to the larger world through the publication of influential books in a variety of fields and genres, including archaeology, anthropology, regional studies, Latinx studies, Indigenous studies, space science, history, poetry, and more.
Please visit our website to learn more.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Secure national, regional, and local attention for the Press, its books, and its author experts, through interviews, profiles, author appearances, reviews, awards, and more, across all platforms–in person, print, broadcast, and online.
- Create compelling story ideas, pitch letters, excerpt selections, features narratives, interview content, media materials, and author endorsements. Pursue coverage creatively and aggressively, with effective follow-up and follow-through.
- Develop and writes news and events content for UA Press website. Amplify effectiveness of Press content and media placements through the press’s website and social media channels.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute up to four events per year, primarily local, to promote brand and book awareness.
- Additionally, secure and support author events such as bookstore appearances, campus lectures, etc. as part of publicity campaigns, providing publicity materials and enhancing sales opportunities as appropriate.
- Initiate, cultivate, and maintain up-to-date lists of media contacts, book festival contacts, and awards lists.
- Maintain strong working relationships with these contacts. Responds to media requests and oversee award nomination process.
- Plans, coordinates, and executes social media campaigns and digital community engagement in support of brand, books, events, and author experts.
- Manages title campaign updates, including distribution of reviews and other media coverage to authors, staff, and via our website.
- Oversee blurb and endorsement solicitations.
- Call on media locally and occasionally out-of-state; and may represent the Press at book exhibits or events, up to 6 times per year. Out-of-state travel may be required with trips typically lasting 3 – 4 days.
- Maintains publicity budget, including timely processing and coding of invoices.
- Represent the Press with professionalism and enthusiasm.
- Works with student workers and interns to delegate publicity tasks and other appropriate learning opportunities.
- The UA Libraries support the UA’s diversity and inclusiveness strategic initiatives designed to create an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students. The candidate is expected to support diversity and inclusiveness efforts in the department and college.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Enthusiastic, flexible and a team player.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives.
- Positive attitude and strong demonstration of Our Values: Collaboration, Continuous Learning, Diversity, Innovation, and Integrity.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Must be able to travel to off-site events and meetings, including occasional trips to Phoenix (must have reliable transportation), and work occasional evenings and weekends.
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Liberal Arts or related field AND two years experience in development of comprehensive marketing plans; OR, six years experience in the development of comprehensive marketing plans; OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including demonstrated ability to write compelling content and communicate effectively with various stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, such as authors, booksellers, donors and community partners.
- Proven ability to work within a fast-paced, high-pressure, high-volume, deadline driven environment, including excellent organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail under pressure.
- Enthusiastic, flexible, and a team player.
- Knowledge of social media marketing principles and practices, and demonstrated ability to employ social media as part of successful publicity campaigns to grow community awareness of press and author activities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Creative Suite; with use of a range of Internet search engines and portals as research tools; and with use of Cision, and noncommercial, customized media databases.
- Understanding of copyright issues relating to media usage of Press content.
- Book industry experience.
- Established, current media contacts in areas significant to the University of Arizona Press’s publishing program.
- Basic graphic design skills a plus.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job Category: Administrative and Professional
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Posted Rate of Pay: $39,500-$47,000
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Number: S27268
Number of Vacancies: One
Limited to Current UA Employees: No
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Date: 06/10/2019
Review Start Date: 06/27/2019
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
In your cover letter, please describe how your qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position.
Quick Link for Internal Postings: http://uacareers.com/postings/38973
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.