Library Manager (Public Programs) -- Thomas Branigan Memorial Library -- Las Cruces, NM
Salary: $52,560.56 - $78,840.85 Annually
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Job Type: Full-time Regular
Department: Quality of Life
Job Number: D034 05-19 MP
Closing: 6/10/2019 11:59 PM Mountain
Nature of Work
Fulltime regular, exempt position that plans, coordinates and manages the operations, programs and services of a designated Library unit and staff in accordance with Library goals and objectives; manages and trains staff to provide effective customer service; performs senior-level librarian duties as required.
Work is performed in a library & office setting. Light physical demands; mostly desk work; some lifting of heavy books and materials. Frequent use of a personal computer. Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policy.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
Meeting or exceeding the minimum requirements does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, prioritizes and assigns the daily operational activities and projects of assigned unit to ensure compliance with goals and objectives of library services; trains and coaches staff; monitors work, develops staff skills, and evaluates performance; monitors operations and assures that library staff activities are in compliance with all City regulations, policies and safety standards; monitors workflow and the quality of services provided.
- Meets regularly with staff to review work in progress, discuss and resolve administrative, workload, and technical issues, and to prioritize and assign tasks and projects; evaluates and analyzes functions, resources, processes, and procedures to identify issues and recommend changes for improvement; interprets applicable rules and regulations within scope of authority to provide leadership and guidance in developing, implementing, and administering policies and procedures.
- Manages staff through proper delegation and work supervision to provide appropriate levels of service and resources; coordinates and manages various special and recurring projects, monitors work, evaluates performance, trains, counsels, coaches, and instructs employees in order to meet established goals and objectives; ensures adherence to established policies and procedures to remain in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Manages and monitors financial activities of assigned budgets to ensure compliance and meet performance targets and goals; oversees procurement activities for supplies, services, equipment, and other items to assure activities comply with established policies and processes.
- Reviews, maintains, and updates records in various formats, mediums, and automated systems to ensure data integrity and adherence to internal controls, practices, and policies; evaluates programs, services, and activities to ensure customer and staff needs are met; demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless services.
- Assures the provision of quality library services, resources, materials and equipment; manages and coordinates City library collections, systems, technology, and services; manages and coordinates with staff regarding the development and implementation of library programs and services to meet the needs of the community;
- Develops and improves library collections, materials, services, and technology; manages library collections through selection, regular weeding, and replacement; performs original cataloging and classification of special materials.
- Provides customer service to library patrons; responds to inquiries and requests for information; explains City programs, procedures and services to citizens and clients; resolves customer service issues and patron complaints; interprets and explains library policies, procedures, rules and regulations to staff and patrons.
- Prepares and reviews statistical and analytical reports of library activities, operations and procedures; gathers and compiles data for reports; updates policies and training programs, and assures compliance with policies and procedures; performs special research and program development projects as assigned; develops and manages special public relations and marketing projects; serves as library spokesperson for special programs.
- Analyzes circulation operations and service delivery issues, and recommends solutions; evaluates existing programs for effectiveness and recommends new programs or program changes; provides information and interpretation concerning library services, policies and procedures; assists in the development of budget and manages expenditures and monitors budgets.
- Performs a variety of circulation, reference, readers advisory, and/or youth services functions; provides assistance and instruction to library patrons regarding the use of library equipment, computers, databases, catalogs, and the internet.
- Represents the library within the community; attends and participates in a variety of professional, civic, committee, and/or board meetings.
- Maintains expertise in field of service through participation in applicable educational opportunities.
Masters Degree in Library Science and five years experience in a public library environment, including supervisory or lead experience. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
City of Las Cruces
P.O. Box 20000
Las Cruces, New Mexico, 88004