Assistant Librarian - Head of Special Collections & University Archivist -- Texas A&M University - Commerce -- Commerce, TX
Job Title: Assistant Librarian - Head of Special Collections & University Archivist
Agency: Texas A&M University - Commerce
Proposed Minimum Salary: $5,248.33 monthly
Job Location: Commerce, Texas
Job Type: Faculty
The Assistant Librarian – Head of Special Collections provides leadership and strategic vision for the department and serves as University Archivist, facilitates the integration of research and teaching through collaborations with university departments and external entities, fosters a collaborative work environment, actively manages donor cultivation, and facilitates national interest in collections and archives.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the daily operations of Special Collections and University Archives and serves as primary contact for research requests.
- Ensures that vital university records are available for use by administration and others.
- Supervises, evaluates and provides training for librarians, staff, interns, and student workers.
- Develops strategic plans and assessment strategies, implements policies and procedures, and facilitates special projects.
- Develops outreach activities to promote the archives and special collections.
- Communicates with donors and acquires new collections.
- Works with other departments in the library and on campus to develop and promote library resources.
- Collaborates with individuals and external organizations to identify, preserve and make accessible items of historical interest from throughout Northeast Texas.
- Pursues and administers grants and special projects that pertain to the collection.
- Maintains the university’s web archive.
- Maintains expertise and awareness of current trends in special collections and archives.
- Serves on library and university committees.
- Participate in continuing education and professional development opportunities.
- Education: ALA-accredited MLS degree.
- Experience / Knowledge / Skills: Five (5) years of post-graduate experience as an Archivist. Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills. Detail-oriented with project management skills. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to: Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others. Ability to adapt to a changing library environment.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: None
- Physical Requirements: Ability to move medium weight (20 pounds) boxes, books, heavy book truck or similar items. Ability to handle material which can contain dust or microscopic mold spores.
- Other Requirements: None
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
- Certified Archivist (CA).
- Knowledge and experience in most aspects of library preservation practices, technologies, and methodologies, including analog and digital preservation (multi-format collections, electronic records, digital collections, curating exhibits, etc.).
- Supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of descriptive and metadata standards (EAD, DACS, Dublin Core, etc.).
- Experience with content management systems (ContentDM, Omeka, Islandora, ArchivesSpace, etc.).
- Experience with donor relations.
- Proven track record of fundraising and grant proposal writing.
- Experience providing hands-on instruction in the theories, methods, and processes used to manage archives and digital resources.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS: Librarians, staff, interns, and student workers.
For more information and details on how to apply, please go to: https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMUC_External/job/Commerce-TAMUC/Assistant-Librarian---Head-of-Special-Collections---University-Archivist_R-018469