Librarian I -- Prairie View A&M University (Northwest Houston Center) -- Houston, TX
Job Title: Librarian I (Nothwest Houston Center)
Agency: Prairie View A&M University
Proposed Minimum Salary: Commensurate
Job Location: Houston, Texas
Job Type: Staff
Apply Here: https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PVAMU_External/job/Houston-PVA...
The Librarian I, under general supervision, performs tasks in one or more functional areas within the library. The Northwest Houston Center (NWHC) is located at 9449 Grant Road Houston, Texas.
- Prepare, develop, and teach information literacy instruction sessions to users be it through face to face, online, to individuals, or to groups in a classroom. Collaborate with faculty to integrate information literacy and research instruction into courses and course assignments across the curriculum.Working effectively with students, faculty, staff and library patrons. Keeping up with library instruction trends and reference service in academic libraries. Participate in planning and delivering research, information literacy and technology instruction. Prepare online and physical instructional materials, including handouts, videos and LibGuides.
- Participate in data assessment and evaluation activities.
- Provide research assistance to library patrons, including students, faculty, staff, and community members. Review and select print and electronic materials for library acquisition. Assist with selecting and weeding of the reference collection and general collection. Assist in supervision of student work study and graduate assistants Serve as a liaison librarian to assigned department(s), college, or field of study. Establish and develop collaborative and productive working relationships with faculty, staff and students.
- Assist in managing the Northwest Houston Center library, including, planning and conducting library instruction and public programming, assisting with selection, weeding and shelving materials, as well as circulation activities, record keeping and data collection procedures.
- Helping to manage the computer labs in the library.
- Participate in outreach activities, including recruiting events and community programming.
- Participate and serve on Library, university, and/or library professional association committees. Attend meetings and assist with library events and programs at Prairie View A&M University. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master of Science in Library Science (MSLS) or a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree from an American Library Association accredited program.
- No prior experience required.
One to three years of experience working in an academic library.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Knowledge of traditional and electronic resources.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, presentation, and research skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to use basic print and electronic reference tools.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in conducting reference service in an academic library.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with new ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education.
- Ability to effectively teach library instruction sessions to individuals and groups.
- Experience creating, research guides, tutorials, and library instruction materials.
- Ability to use educational technologies in the classroom.
- Demonstrated skill with use of current library and educational technologies, and experience with software and hardware used in academic libraries.
- Must be able to demonstrate a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Serve as a member of intra-and-inter library committees, PVAMU campus committee organizations.
- Ability to participate in state and national level professional library conferences.
- Outreach to the various colleges and to diverse groups on campus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent public service skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff and library patrons.
- Ability to learn new technologies and apply skills quickly.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
Job Posting Close Date:
Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either “Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter” on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the “Resume/CV” or Resume/Cover Letter” attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Application Submission Guidelines:
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above Required Attachments section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or email@example.com should you need assistance with the online application process.
Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.