Librarian I -- Prairie View A&M University -- Prairie View, TX
Job Title: Librarian I
Agency: Prairie View A&M University
Proposed Minimum Salary: Commensurate
Job Location: Prairie View, Texas
Job Type: Staff
More info: https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PVAMU_External/job/Prairie-Vie...
The Librarian I, under general supervision, performs tasks in Reference and Instruction areas within the library.
- Prepare, develop, and teaching information literacy instruction sessions to users be it through face to face, online, to individuals, or to groups in a classroom. Collaborating with faculty to integrate information literacy and research instruction into courses and course assignments across the curriculum. Working effectively with students, faculty, staff and library patrons. Keeping up with library instruction trends and reference service in academic libraries. Participating in planning and delivering the Library’s Information Literacy and Research Instruction programs, to include, the library orientation sessions for University College, Library Tours, conducting research instruction classes, developing website content, and print materials. Preparing online and physical instructional materials, including handouts, videos and LibGuides. Participate in assessing of information literacy and library instruction services.
- Providing research assistance and to library patrons, including students, faculty, staff, and community members. Working the Reference desk on average five to six hours per shift. Identifying and interpreting user needs. Providing reference to library patrons through telephone, texting, chat, and face-to-face. Staffing the reference desk as required. Assisting with locating resources and materials in all formats. Providing readers' advisory, and computer, database and referral services. Keeping up to date with the knowledge of effectively using library databases. Participating in planning face-to-face and virtual reference service. Compiling course guides and research guides. Helping to compile reference service statistics daily, monthly and yearly.
- Reviewing and selecting print and electronic materials for library acquisition for the reference department and your assigned liaison subject areas. Assisting with selecting and weeding of the reference collection and general collection.
- Serving as a liaison librarian to assigned department(s), college, or field of study. Assist in supervision of student work study and graduate assistants in the Reference and Instruction Department. Working a flexible schedule, including one night per-week and one Saturday per month. Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others in the department and the library. Establishing and developing collaborative and productive working relationships with faculty, staff and students. Developing and participating in the library's outreach services.
- Participating and serving on Library, university, and/or library professional association committees. Attending meetings and assist with library events and programs at PVAMU. Pursuing opportunities for professional development, including workshops, conferences, seminars, and specialized training classes. Performing other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master of Science in Library Science (MSLS) or a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree from an American Library Association accredited program.
- No prior experience required.
One to three years of experience working in an academic library.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Knowledge of traditional and electronic resources.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, presentation, and research skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to use basic print and electronic reference tools.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in conducting reference service in an academic library.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with new ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education.
- Ability to effectively teach library instruction sessions to individuals and groups.
- Experience creating, research guides, tutorials, and library instruction materials.
- Ability to use educational technologies in the classroom.
- Demonstrated skill with use of current library and educational technologies, and experience with software and hardware used in academic libraries.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Serve as a member of intra-and-inter library committees, PVAMU campus committee organizations.
- Ability to participate in state and national level professional library conferences.
- Outreach to the various colleges and to diverse groups on campus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent public service skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff and library patrons.
- Ability to learn new technologies and apply skills quickly.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
Licensing / Professional Certification:
Work beyond normal office hours and/or work on weekends.
Job Posting Close Date:
Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either “Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter” on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the “Resume/CV” or Resume/Cover Letter” attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Application Submission Guidelines:
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above Required Attachments section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or firstname.lastname@example.org should you need assistance with the online application process.
Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.