Librarian -- Waco-McLennan County Library -- Waco, TX
Are you creative, energetic, and innovative? Do you believe in the mission of libraries and want to share that enthusiasm with the public? Then the Waco-McLennan County Library wants you to join its team. We are searching for someone who is passionate about providing excellent library services to the people of Waco and excited about new challenges.
- Provides reference service and resource recommendations using print, media, and digital resources.
- Provides research and information assistance.
- Provides readers advisory service.
- Instructs patrons in the use of library materials and online catalog.
- Collection development of the reference and circulating collection, through review, evaluation, selection and weeding in assigned subject areas.
- Promotes library collections, technology and services through presentations, programs, and topical displays.
- Assists in planning and implementing adult programs and displays.
- Gathers, reviews, and compiles data for reports, and prepares statistical and analytical reports of Library activities and operations.
- Develops special programs for patrons, including outreach and training classes.
- Promotes Library programs and services to community agencies, advocates, and citizen groups.
- Maintains discipline and order in the library.
- Provides basic circulation service, as needed.
- Assists with training and supervising volunteers.
- Substitutes at branches as needed.
- Assumes responsibility of the library in the absence of managers.
- Special knowledge of publishing trends, authors, titles, and reading interests of adults.
- In-depth knowledge of library materials, services, and operations.
- Knowledge of emerging information and library technologies.
- Library classification, cataloging and acquisition protocols.
- Collection development, evaluation and reference principles.
- Ability to learn and operate library automated system with high degree of efficiency.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, use time effectively, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and work with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to interact with people of varying personalities and ages in a variety of situations.
- Proficiency with various e-reader devices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and to creatively solve problems related to the position.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to flourish in a changing environment.
- Cross-training in order to perform other duties and responsibilities is required.
Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution is required is required.
Public Library and supervisory experience preferred.
18.52 - 21.40 hourly
Apply online at the City of Waco’s website.