Dewey Decimal Classification: The Basics
This class will cover assigning classification numbers with correct meanings in the Dewey hierarchy, as well as assigning numbers when a topic might fall under more than one discipline. Other topics covered include choosing the right number based on Notes and Manual entries, building numbers using the tables, and a look at OCLC's WebDewey.
- Discuss the function of Integrated Library Systems (ILS)
- Discover basic tools, both print and online, for cataloging
- Interpret Library of Congress and Dewey Decimal Call numbers to enable shelf discovery
- Recognize a MARC bibliographic record
- Apply correct MARC code to a monograph bibliographic record
- Define copy cataloging, including basic cataloging principles & terminology
Staff with cataloging and classification duties.
Homework Expectations and Completion Requirements:
- It is designed for individual participation; each individual must register.
Visit BigBlueButton's detailed minium requirements page.
This course consists of two 2-hour sessions.
Instructor: Emily Nimsakont - firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Hours: 4
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm CST
|Amigos Member Early Bird Individual Registration||$ 140.00|
|Non-member Early Bird Individual Registration||$ 195.00|