Data and Government Information Librarian -- Rice University -- Houston, TX
Rice University is seeking a skilled and innovative Data and Government Information Librarian to shape an emergent data services program within an evolving government information environment. The position reports to the Head of the Kelley Center for Government Information, Data and Geospatial Services.
Responsibilities: Helps to lead the library’s data services, including the discovery, use, and management of locally created and externally available statistical data, and through a range of services, support the library’s membership in the FDLP. He or she conducts individual research support consultations, workshops and instruction sessions, and other programming in both areas of specialization. The position participates in inter-departmental and library-wide committees and work groups established to further various aspects of the Fondren Library mission.
Required Qualifications include:
ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science and/or a Master’s degree or other advanced degree in a data intensive discipline with significant data experience. One year of experience in a library or research setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of US federal and proprietary data sources
- Demonstrated knowledge of data information literacy competencies
- Experience providing training sessions and consultations in a research or library setting
- Experience building relationships in an academic setting, and/or working with/supporting students and faculty in academic departments via outreach, research assistance, or teaching
- Understanding of issues and trends in the communication and publication of research data
Experience using one or more proprietary or open-source statistical software packages (R, SPSS, Stata, SAS or Python) for data analysis and visualization
- Knowledge of issues and technical challenges related to data management/curation, including format migration, preservation, metadata, data retrieval and use issues
- Demonstrated knowledge of ICPSR and IPUMS
- Experience working with US federal government documents, including print, web and data sources
- Understanding of issues and trends related to the Federal Depository Library Program
Salary & benefits: $55,000 minimum, with hiring salary commensurate with experience and qualifications; no state or local income tax; 21 benefit days; 8 study days; a range of retirement options including TIAA/CREF; health and life insurance; and tuition waiver.
Environment: Rice University provides a stimulating work environment, with opportunities to participate in the delivery of innovative library services supported by leading edge technologies. Fondren Library (http://www.rice.edu/fondren) is a research library with over 2.8 million volumes and over 155,000 serial titles, including titles available through aggregators. The Library has a state-of-the-art off-site shelving facility. An active program of digital resource delivery and development is grounded in successful collaboration among library and university staff from Digital Scholarship Services, other library departments and university information technology staff.
Houston is a vibrant, multicultural city, with world-class visual and performing arts ranging from the traditional to the avant-garde. The fourth largest city in the country, Houston enjoys a moderate cost of living and easy proximity to the Gulf Coast. For more information, see: http://www.explore.rice.edu/explore/General_Information.asp.
Applications received by Dec. 11, 2017 will receive first consideration. Please apply with cover letter, résumé, and the names, titles, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references at: https://jobs.rice.edu/postings/12136.
Inquiries: Melinda Reagor Flannery at (713) 348-3773 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.