Reference and Instruction Librarian -- Southeastern Oklahoma State University -- Durant, OK
Southeastern Oklahoma State University invites applications for the position of Reference and Instruction Librarian and Access Services Supervisor
The Librarian for Reference and Instruction will provide direction in the promotion, development, and implementation of library instruction. The librarian will advance and expand a student-centered library instruction program and enhance the effectiveness of library instruction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborates with the instruction team to develop new instructional programs and classroom activities.
- Provides library instruction in the use of research tools and the development of information literacy skills.
- Assists with assessment of student learning and evaluation of the overall effectiveness of instructional services.
- Assists with the development of programmatic assessment models that measure the impact of library instruction on student learning.
- Reports the activities, effectiveness, and needs of the instruction program to the Library Director through statistical analysis and reports.
- Contributes to reference service in a variety of formats, including evening shifts.
- Coordinates all aspects of Access Services including circulation, reserves, stack maintenance, ILL and copyright compliance
- Supervises the Circulation Coordinator, ILL Specialist and the student worker program.
- Maintains professional growth and development through participation in professional organizations, reading the literature, attendance at workshops, and through continuing education.
- Participates in the general planning and decision-making processes of the Library.
- Serves on Library and University Faculty committees as appointed, elected or requested.
This description reflects management's assignment of essential functions. It does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES (FUNCTIONS, DUTIES)
- Attendance and Dependability: The employee can be depended upon to report to the assigned duty station at the scheduled time. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner and is conscientious, about assignments.
- Communication and Contact: The employee communicates effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside of the University.
- Relationships with Others: The employee works effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the University. The employee exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others and works to maintain constructive working environment.
- Safety: Employee works safely, attends safety training offered/required, and follows appropriate safety rules and regulations. In relation to level of NIMs training completed, participates in incident management preparation and performs incident duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
- MLS degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Supervisory experience
- 1-3 years of experience in an academic library in reference and instruction or related experience
- Effective presentation skills
- Familiarity with a Library Management system, preferably Sirsi or OCLC
- Working knowledge of Circulation and/or Interlibrary Loan procedures