Cataloging & Classification Basics
We will cover MARC bibliographic, classification and categorization schemas, basic copy cataloging, and other areas essential to the cataloging department. This course offers an in-depth look at MARC fields (fixed and variable) and subfields used for cataloging. It prepares participants to begin copy cataloging by demonstrating how to interpret bibliographic records and match to items in hand. Topics include terminology, resources, and workflow. Hands-on exercises (at least one per day) provide practice using new skills. Examples and exercises will be based on OCLC-MARC, accessed through the Connexion cataloging interface.
- Discuss the function of Integrated Library Systems (ILS)
- Discover basic tools, both print and online, for cataloging
- Interpret Library of Congress and Dewey Decimal Call numbers to enable shelf discovery
- Recognize a MARC bibliographic record
- Distinguish the most MARC bibliographic popular tags and fields
- Apply correct MARC code to a monograph bibliographic record
- Define copy cataloging, including basic cataloging principles & terminology
- Identify job skills and workflow for copy cataloging
- Evaluate what fields should evoke a match
New technical services staff or those desiring a refresher.
Must be comfortable using the internet.
Homework Expectations and Completion Requirements
Short homework assignments are required after each session. Class participation includes discussion (both verbal and text available) and contribution to cooperative assignments.
It is designed for individual participation; each individual must register.
Live Online System Requirements
This course consists of six 2-hour sessions.
This course meets the requirements for American Library Association Library Support Staff Certification [ALA-LSSC] for the Cataloging and Classification elective.
June 11, 12, 13, 18, 19, 20, 2013
10:30 AM - 12:30 PM CDT
|Amigos Member||$ 445.00|
|Amigos Member Learning Passport Holder - 12 Learning Passport Hours||$ 0.00|
|Amigos Member Learning Passport Holder - 10% Discount||$ 400.50|
|Amigos Member Learning Passport Holder - 15% Discount||$ 378.25|